Texas Expungement Law Firm
In Texas, expungement allows those who have been arrested but not found guilty or who have been given deferred adjudication for minor crimes to clear their criminal record. Many people who are eligible for expungement do not even realize it is available to them. At The Law Offices of Torres & Thomas, we understand how beneficial expungement can be for an individual’s future. We seek to help all those who are eligible for expungement to take advantage of the opportunity to clear their names and restore their reputations.
Eligibility Requirements for Expungement in Texas
Eligibility for expungement in Texas is limited to cases in which there is no finding of guilt with an exception for Class C Misdemeanor offenses in which there is a deferred adjudication. That means, if any of the following is true, you may be eligible for expunction:
- You were arrested but were not subsequently charged with a crime.
- Your case was dismissed for lack of probable cause, insufficient evidence or unavailable witnesses.
- The grand jury "no billed" an indictment against you.
- You were acquitted (found "not guilty") by a judge or jury.
- You successfully completed deferred adjudication for a Class C misdemeanor.
- You plead guilty to a Class C misdemeanor alcohol crime such as public intoxication.
- Your criminal record is the result of identity theft.
Who Is NOT Eligible for Expungement in Texas
If you have a felony conviction on your record in the five (5) years prior to the arrest you wish to expunge, you are ineligible for expungement. Additionally, if you have been convicted of any crime other than a Class C misdemeanor, you cannot have that charge expunged from your record. There are some exceptions for participants in Drug Court, however.
Cases that are not eligible for expungement may still be eligible to be sealed through an Order of Non-Disclosure. Orders of Non-Disclosure are similar to expungement, but the records are not destroyed. At The Law Offices of Torres & Thomas, our attorneys are experienced in handling both expungement and non-disclosure cases. Depending on the specific circumstances of each case, we use these tools to help clients clear their names.
If you are interested in expungement, contact us to discuss your case at a free consultation. For numerous reasons, time is of the essence with expungement cases. So, don’t wait to start the process.